Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Time in Taos


Mitch Lyons

My first destination spot was Taos.  I had been through Taos before but never spent much time there.  This time I had arranged to participate in a workshop, learn some new stuff and meet some artists.

I have had a love for printmaking for many years and have been interested in alternative or experimental printmaking techniques.  About 5+ years ago I learned about Mitch Lyons and his "Clay Monotypes"  I wanted to take his workshop ever since.  Mitch resides in Pennsylvania so it wasn't very convenient for me to take his workshop until he brought it to Taos this summer.  He reserved all the rooms at an Inn/B&B where they had a workshop space.  The workshop was great, the Inn, not so much.  Although the property was beautiful, a miscommunication between the innkeepers and Mitch left us all feeling unwelcome.  There's a big long story about this that I won't go into other than to NOT recommend this place to anyone I know or who reads this.

Mitch developed the clay monotype process after years of working with clay.  I was intrigued with the technique and enjoyed the process as well as meeting other artists in the workshop.  Mitch is truly a sweetheart and I am grateful to finally have met him.

We have arranged to have Mitch come teach the Clay Monotype workshop at the Tubac Center of the Arts where I work next spring.  I highly recommend this to anyone that works with clay or printmaking or even anyone interested in learning new art techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment